Roubo Workbench Build Complete

Completed Roubo Workbench

They say that the journey is more important than the destination.  I agree.  However, it’s hard not to get excited about knocking this off of the list. After some deliberation, I decided to finish the workbench with boiled linseed oil.  I found that the best way to apply the finish was with a squeeze bottle … Read moreRoubo Workbench Build Complete

Troubleshooting Holdfast Issues

After boring the first few holdfast holes, I realized that I had serious issues.  My holdfasts simply weren’t biting.  Often, they were jumping around in their holes.  I had to find a solution, and fast.

The bench top is 4-1/2 inches thick.  The holdfast holes are 3/4 inch in diameter.  I am using Gramercy holdfasts.  They are very well made, and should survive years of abuse.  I did some research and determined that the most likely cause was the thickness of the bench top.  How could I resolve this with the holes already bored?

I received some excellent advice from my friends on Twitter and decided that I would counter bore the holes from the bottom with a large diameter hole.  To center the holes, I inserted a piece of 3/4 inch dowel.  After some trial and error, I determined that the most effective nominal thickness was around 3 inches.  The holdfasts work beautifully.  The solution was quick and easy.

I need to clean up the surfaces and coat everything in boiled linseed oil.  Then, I will finally be able to start my first project on the Roubo.  Stay tuned

You can find links to my other Roubo posts here:  Project Index

IMG_5420

Holdfast in action

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Roubo Workbench: I Met the Devil…

cutting the shiplap joint

…and he lives in the details. I thought I would have completed the Roubo workbench by now.  I’m getting close, but these little tasks add up. I did finish the shelf.  I created 1-1/4″ square ledgers and screwed them to each of my stretchers.  These are the only screws found on the entire workbench.  The … Read moreRoubo Workbench: I Met the Devil…

A Quick Roubo Workbench Update

The Almost-Complete 2015 Roubo Workbench

With the base attached to the top, I was able to get the Roubo workbench flipped so I could finish the details.  Despite weighing nearly 300 lbs, I managed this myself.  The saw-benches are the perfect height for this operation.  You just need to go slow, and be careful.  I’m thinking about making a quick … Read moreA Quick Roubo Workbench Update

Roubo Workbench Build: Draw Boring the Base

A close up of the drawbored joints

I did a lot of research while designing my Roubo workbench.  There are many ways to bring everything together.  However, my favorite approach was draw boring the mortise and tenon joints.  There is no need for any glue, and the joint should stay tight for ages.  As of my last post, I didn’t think I … Read moreRoubo Workbench Build: Draw Boring the Base

Roubo Build: Installing the Bench Crafted Classic Leg Vise with Criss-Cross Retro

The past weeks have been hectic, but I was finally able to get the Bench Crafted classic leg vise installed.  The installation was a little daunting, but careful layout ensured a good fit.

I started laying out the criss-cross mortises by marking where I wanted the bottom of the chop on the leg.  From there, I was able to mark out the mortise and vise screw locations.  Then, I carefully transferred my lines to the chop.  I roughed out the mortises on the drill press.  I cleaned them up with a plunge router and chisel.

With the mortises complete, I fit the retro brackets and marked the machine screw holes.  I bored out pilot holes on the drill press, and then tapped them with a 5/16-inch bottoming tap.  Everything came together nicely.

Next, I bored a counter-bore in the leg for the acetal bushing.  I finished boring the holes for the vise screw and gave everything a test fit.  Then, it was only a matter of attaching the rest of the hardware.

If I had to do it over again, I would have used a larger router bit to clean up the criss-cross mortises.  Cleaning up the bottom of the mortises in six or seven passes was time-consuming.  I still have to shape the chop, but that will be the easy part.

Next up, draw boring.  Stay tuned.

You can find links to my other Roubo posts here:  Project Index

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

The Best Laid Plans…

Sliding Deadman Notch

What is it that they say about the best laid plans? Completing the Roubo workbench base had me on a high.  That all came crashing down Sunday afternoon.  While marking out the location for the draw-bore pins, I noticed that something was a little off.  Upon closer inspection, I realized that the pins for the … Read moreThe Best Laid Plans…

Finishing up the Roubo Workbench Base

Completed Roubo Workbench Base

Completing this workbench has taken more time than I expected.  I believe that is a common theme of life.  Today, I hit a major milestone.  I completed the base for the Roubo workbench build. With all the tenons cut, I just needed to chop the mortises and fit everything together. I started by clamping my … Read moreFinishing up the Roubo Workbench Base

That’s a bit of a Stretch…

Clamp your stretcher to your leg

With  all four legs fitted to the top, I’m rounding 3rd and heading for home.  That’s a bit of a stretch.  I still have many details to work out, a vise to install, chop and sliding dead-man to complete, and the stretchers. Fitting the Roubo Workbench Stretchers I milled up the stretchers much the same … Read moreThat’s a bit of a Stretch…