What is it that they say about the best laid plans?
Completing the Roubo workbench base had me on a high. That all came crashing down Sunday afternoon. While marking out the location for the draw-bore pins, I noticed that something was a little off. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the pins for the short stretchers would come too close to the mortise walls for the long stretchers. This is a result of moving the tenons back on the front stretcher. I did this so that they wouldn’t interfere with the mortise for the vise hardware.
If only I had included the draw-bore pins in my Sketchup model. I would have known of the issue, and been able to plan around it. Fortunately, this isn’t a huge setback. It just means that I will have to drop the pins for the base and glue the tenons in place. I can still draw-bore the base to the top.
I took it all in stride. I finished a few details while I worked out what I was going to do about the base.
I completed the notch in the front stretcher for the sliding dead-man. I marked it out with a pencil and cut the chamfer with a block plane. You can see how thick I made the front stretcher. The Bench Crafted criss-cross mortise is 1 7/16″ deep, so I made the tenon 2″ back from the front of the stretcher to avoid issues.
I also cut the grove for the sliding dead-man in the bottom-side of the top. I made quick work of this with a plunge router and fence. A spiral up-bit kept everything clean. It’s wise to do this in several passes.
I was also able to start milling the boards for the vise chop. I’m using some old-growth pine boards I scored from work. They aren’t hardwood, but they are incredibly dense. Once I finish the chop, I can install the vise hardware. I need to complete this before I permanently attach the base to the top.
You can find links to my other Roubo posts here: Project Index