I intended to publish this post a week ago. Unfortunately, a nasty cold kicked my butt instead. I planned to be finishing up new shop cabinets. Instead, I’m just now starting to feel well enough to get back into the shop. Such is life.
I planned my duct work for three main machine drops: one on either side, and one in the middle. Each drop will service at least two tools. The central drop will service my table saw and jointer/planer. One side drop contains a floor sweep and flexible port. The other side will service a miter saw and flexible port.
I was concerned about the stability of the central drop. So, I secured strut channel to two joists and braced the drop to the strut channel. This adds a lot of rigidity to the drop and supports some of the weight. Plus, I think it looks a lot better than using dimensional lumber.
I replaced all of my sheet metal screws with rivets and sealed all the joints with silicone caulk. I tested the cyclone with the ducting installed and I’m amazed by the suction. The system is also much quieter with the duct work. My wife was very happy about this. I no longer have to worry about making a bed in the shop!
I still need to blow insulation into the attic area, build a router table, and miter saw cabinets. Stay tuned.
For the rest of the workshop build, check out the garage workshop build index.